Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Chocolate Chip Scones Made With Almond Flour

Chocolate Chip Scones Made With Almond Flour.
Sometimes the only thing that can brighten a mood on a chilly, wet and grey afternoon is a cup of tea and a scone. I decided I would make today a treat day for me, which essentially just means I eat more carbohydrates than usual and maybe even a touch of something sweet. I wanted a scone with chocolate even though I knew it could have disastrous consequences. Well, the consequences were not the worst I have ever had but I did get a migraine headache, nausea, and sharp stomach pains after. It was somewhat worth it. I just wish I could eat chocolate without any ill affect. But I share this for those that want to make a chocolate scone with minimal sugar and also lower in carbohydrates.

Scones and almond flour are soul mates. They are just meant to be. Scones are naturally made with a bit of almond flour, even in recipes that aren't gluten-free or grain-free. Using all almond flour for this recipe was a no-brainer for me and the results were mouthwatering and satisfying. Try this out on a day you just need a treat and wash it down with a warm cup of tea. I made my sleepy tea (recipe follows the scone recipe) and after my wee one, Bay, finished she laid down on the couch and fell fast asleep. A dull afternoon turned sweet.


Chocolate Chip Scones Made With Almond Flour
adapted from Elana Amsterdam's Chocolate Chip Scone recipe



  • 2 1/2 cups almond flour ( I use Honeyville.)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/3 cup melted coconut oil (I sometimes substitute olive oil and it still tastes marvelous.)
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips (Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips are our favorite.)


  1. In a bowl mix together your dry ingredients: almond flour, salt, and baking soda.
  2. In a separate bowl mix together your wet ingredients: oil, eggs.
  3. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until combined completely.
  4. Stir in the chocolate chips.
  5. Dump the mixture on a greased/oiled baking sheet and form with your hands into a circle. You could roll this out by placing a piece of parchment paper on top and rolling it out with a rolling pin, but I find hand pressing the dough into a circle shape works beautifully.
  6. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes. They are done when a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
  7. Let the scones cool for about 10-15 minutes and then cut like you would a pie. Serve on its own or with a bit of butter. Scones and warm tea are the perfect combination.
Sleepy Tea
This tea is my go-to calming tea for little ones, as well as myself. Technically, it isn't a tea at all but rather a tisane so there is no need to worry about caffeine and this recipe can also be consumed while pregnant and breastfeeding. The thing to keep in mind is that if you are tired drinking this may make you fall asleep shortly after. This is fine if you need to calm down or you want help in falling asleep but if you need to stay awake this may not be the tea to drink. Having said all that, this is my wee ones' favorite tea and my favorite to fix. 

  • 1 tablespoon dried chamomile flowers
  • 1 teaspoon  dried fenugreek seed
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried fennel seed
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried mint
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried anise seed
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried rosehips
  1. Heat about 1 1/2 quarts water (about 6 cups) water to boiling. 
  2. While water is heating, mix together your dried herbs in a reusable tea filter and place the filter in a tea pot.
  3. When the water comes to a boil pour over the herbs and allow to to steep (this essentially means to leave it covered without disturbing it) for about 15-20 minutes.
  4. After is has steeped, pull out the reusable filter and serve the tea warm. You can also serve with honey and cream if you want but our favorite way is to drink it on its own.
*In the colder months I purchase all of my dried herbs from my local CO-OP in the bulk section. In the warmer months I grow of much it as I can in my garden and dry it myself.*



1 comment:

  1. Wow, these look so good and easy too! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete